Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I keep trying to post, but it doesn't seem to work out...

I think that I should be more successful right now, because Ryan is sleeping in the swing.

To finish the story of Ryan's arrival:

They took me in the OR and did the spinal, so I was paralyzed from the ribs down. I did manage to keep feeling the poking needle, but I think that was my brain overworking. They did the c section and they did have a bit of trouble delivering him that way too -- I heard the doctor request foreceps at one point, but the surgical assistant and the doctor did manage to get him out without using them. He pretty much cried right away and got apgar scores of 8 and 9 (at 1 min and 5 min).

Ryan had a skinny cord, which wasn't supplying enough nutrition to him (hence the reason that my big butt gave birth to a little tiny thing) and his cord was wrapped around his shoulders and above his head. I think it's called a prolasped cord, but mine was not as serious as it could have been. I would say that I had a semi-emergency c-section.

He was overdue/past term because he had little old man hands and feet when he came out and he has a lot of dry peeling skin.

Otherwise, he was totally perfect...well, except the fact that his little testicles did not descend prior to birth -- one is kind of where it should be and the other is still WAY up in his abdomen. The one that is way up there will probably require surgery when he's around 6 months old or so, but we'll see what happens...maybe a miracle will occur and it will come down on its own too.

The hospital stay was long. I ended up with a minor spinal headache -- which felt like a migrane to me -- light sensitivity, nausea -- and a MAJOR tension headache, which ran up my shoulders into my neck, into the back of my head. BLAH!

So, when we came home Sunday, I was in pretty rough shape. Lots of caffeine and Sudafed solved it by Tuesday. And the tension headache was gone after a day or two at home as well. Too bad all the caffeine kept Ryan up that first night, all crazy, which made me crazy too. He sleeps upstairs with us for now, in the Pack N Play. It works out pretty much okay.

I am breastfeeding, which is as easy as it sounds. You just put the baby where he needs to go and he knows exactly what to do...SARCASM'D'D'D!

As I had previously blogged, I was not sure about this whole process. I never was, but I was willing to give it a whirl and see if it was something that I really was okay with. I know that a week is really not a fair trial, but between caring for a new baby, this whole being totally attached to the baby because I'm the food source and just being totally destroyed mentally, I am donzo with this.

I am just going to start pumping whatever I have and give him bottles -- there are times when I probably will be a bit lazy to pump and I can certain give him the food directly, but I need someone else to be able to give him a bottle every once and a while. This will make me happier, which will hopefully make Ryan happier. And when Jake comes home and my mom leaves to go back to her house, I won't be a crying mess, like I was every day this week so far. I hit the wall on this yesterday -- I think that he must have another growth spurt on, because he is just eating like a freak and I can't handle having him attached to me every 20 mins for 4 hours.

Whatever makes the mom happy is what should happen, IMO. I'm still not sure of the bottles either, because we didn't learn to bottle feed in the hospital, but it doesn't seem to hard and I have books to read up on this stuff.

I do feel bad for Jake -- we'll have to come up with a different schedule for feeding. I think that for the most part, I will probably just pump and bottle feed him, but there were a couple of times last night where it was just easier to pull out a lady part and feed him. Jake looks so tired all the time -- not that I don't, but I can stay home and I have Mom to help me with him. Jake has to work all day and then come home to crazy me.

Ryan sure does fart a lot and it's REALLY funny. I don't think that it will ever reach a point where it's not funny.

I am healing pretty quickly, which is a good thing. There is some numbness around my incision, which is expected. They cut a lot of nerves down there. I have also already lost half of what I gained -- so, like 17 pounds to go on the weight loss. And then, I'm going to try for 10 more, but we'll see where we are in July/August.

I guess that about sums everything up. I'm not real sure what I'm going to do when Mom doesn't have to come over anymore because I can drive and I'll be totally alone with him. Others have done it, so I can too. I think. Now, time for a nap. Maybe.

1 comment:

Julia Goolia said...

wow, what a story! hang in there...hopefully breastfeeding gets easier???